Keep your eyes out for these games in 2022!
It's that time of year, folks. As you're writing your new year's resolutions and filling up your calendar with exciting ideas, you'll want to keep an eye out for these titles. I've gone ahead and made a list of all the games I'm excited for in 2022, or the near future. I won't be able to play all of them because, hey, I only have so many hours in a day and dollars in my wallet. Still, I can dream.
There are TONS of games releasing next year, as 2022 seems to be the year that all the 2020-21 delays see the light of day. I definitely didn't cover all of the games coming out next year, so share your 2022 favs (or ones I didn't list that you're excited for) in the comments below!
I put a '★' by my top recommendations!
2022 Confirmed Releases (Organized by release date, earliest to latest)
We know these games are coming out since they've announced specific launch dates, either meaning a target month or a specific day of the year.
- Weird West★
- Fast-paced, difficult kung-fu action.
- Dying Light 2
- Horizon Forbidden West★
- A beautiful sequel to a beautiful original title.
- Elden Ring
- What can I say? The people like Dead Souls.
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong
- A 3-character RPG based on World of Darkness' VTM TTRPG.
- Saints Row
- Big guns, big cars, and big... uh... you know.
2022 Release date TBD (Organized alphabetically)
These have a strong, or confirmed chance, of a 2022 release. These titles don't have any public publish dates for when they'll release in 2022.
- Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
- Did you like Jet Set Radio Future? Buy this game.
- Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus and Butterfly
- It's a quiet sequel to a thoughtful first title.
- Cult of the Lamb
- Cute woodland creatures, but make them bloodthirsty cultists.
- God of War: Ragnarock★
- Do I need to explain why I recommend this? Just play it.
- Goodbye Volcano High★
- Lovely hand-drawn animation and a compelling story of high school changes, except the teens are dinos.
- Gotham Knights
- Co-op vigilantism awaits!
- Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- I'm a sucker for Kirby, the most adorable pink menace out there.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
- A trip down nostalgia lane? Sign me up.
- Little Devil Inside★
- Whimsical art direction paired with expansive worldbuilding? Yes.
- Open Roads
- A mother-daughter road trip with a dark underbelly.
- Vampire hunting + Arkane's combat mechanics = Loads of fun.
- Slime Rancher 2
- What I'd give to be a peaceful space rancher, farming her adorable slimes... sigh.
- You already had me at being able to play a cat. Being able to play a cat in a cybercity full of droids? As Fry says...
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
- This looks and feels true to the 80s cartoon and arcade beat 'em ups from the era.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (unnamed) sequel★
- I'll always buy Zelda, and Nintendo knows this.
- The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
- While some LOTR games have been hit or miss, this will fill in some unknown time gaps in Tolkien's lore, which is interesting.
- Wizard With a Gun
- The development of this game was legitimately spurred on this meme. That deserves kudos.
TBD Releases (Organized alphabetically)
These games have been teased at events or on social, but have yet to announce a publishing date. They're still under development, but it's nice to know they'll be out there in the world someday.
- Atomic Heart
- Dragon Age 4
- Hollow Knight: Silksong
- Indiana Jones Game
- KOTOR remake
- Mass Effect 4
- The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me
- The Outer Worlds 2
- Ubisoft Star Wars Game
- Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2
As always, happy playing!
Do any of these games deserve a deeper dive write-up? I'm taking suggestions, folks! :)