Giveaways / expiring beta keys

Giveaways / expiring beta keys

  • 41

saucelode

maybe this year you could urge your partners not to use AWA for temporary beta keys.

I think everyone would be more happy with full game or non-revoked beta keys, the latter is quite annoying.

as a someone that has participated in many betas, only to lose access once the game has gone to 1.0 release, i can assure you it leaves a sour taste in your mouth to be used like a guinea pig. AWA endorsement of beta key programs that expire, only further encourages this cycle.

its free quality assurance testing, server load testing and networking testing for game developers, masked as a "gift" to the end user.

(oh and almost forgot: free marketing.)

AWA can do better.

Replies 10

elpitaya

It's a good suggestion we all want free games and full games are even better, best we can hope is get more sponsors this year for the site.. 

Alienware 15 R3 i7-6820HK @4.1Ghz GTX 1070, 8 Gb DDR4 @2400, 512 GB SSD + 1 TB @7200 RPM

palmtree

Hear hear.

The "giveaways" have been a dumping ground for quite some time now.  Something has to change.


Sulimen

I would've understood if giveaways recently on alienwarearena haven't been that great compared to others in the past, considering the majority of their recent giveaways have been beta participations of some mobile looking game, or some free ingame items. Sometimes they get sponsors with more appealing games, sometimes they don't, nothing we can do i guess. 

But your main complaint in here is that the beta periods are temporary? I'm curious, why? Cause i don't quite understand.

If you like the game, you get a beta key for it and test it, and if you like it you buy the full release. I'm sure the beta version of the game would be dead so there's no point in having it anymore since no one will play it once it ends, hence it will be removed from your library. Not to mention you only get an unfinished version of the game that barely has any playtime on it.

If you're not interested in the game, the only thing i can surmise from this thread is that you get a +1 in your steam library, and you're annoyed that the beta is temporary and it gets removed from your account and removes that extra game count.

Otherwise i'm not sure what i'm missing, because this is hardly a reason to consider yourself a "guinea pig" since both recent beta giveaways:

https://eu.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1831197/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/next-up-hero-closed-beta-key-giveaway

https://eu.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1823856/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/hyperbrawl-tournament-closed-beta-key-giveaway

Are clearly stating the participation dates on their respective page, and it shows when the beta period ends. One of them even states that you get a 50% discount on their early access period if you're a beta participant. It's not like they forced people to play the game or they haven't stated if the beta period ends or not.

Wouldn't it be the same "free quality assurance testing, server load testing and networking testing for game developers" regardless if the beta period was a trial or permanent? Why is it considered being a "guinea pig" just because the beta will be revoked? If it wasn't revoked, all that will be left in your steam library is a beta game that has a chance of not being even functional anymore after the beta ended, having no actual value anymore besides just clogging up your library.

Unless i'm missing something, whats the big deal about that? I don't see any reason to keep the beta game after it ended.


saucelode

well for starters, beta keys are not really a giveaway.

they are temporary access to a game that largely supports the game developer more than the end user.
 


Sulimen

saucelode said:

well for starters, beta keys are not really a giveaway.

they are temporary access to a game that largely supports the game developer more than the end user.
 

Well yeah, that's how it should be, i don't see any issue with that. Inviting people on their game in its beta/alpha phase should support the developers more, as the main goal is to receive constructive feedback of the game's performance in every department, which is the main point of an open/closed beta phase of a game.

I do however agree about beta keys not being giveaways. I was never fond of seeing beta keys on the /r/FreeGamesOnSteam subreddit as giveaways, nor do i think they belong in that section, which is why i never bother getting beta keys for myself, regardless of the duration.

Which i ultimately agree that beta keys also do not belong in the "Giveaway" part of alienwarearena, as i likewise don't consider them actual giveaways, as they are more like invitational keys for people willing to test their game and receive feedback. The only thing i can see from getting a beta key, is that on rare occasions the devs will give the full version of the game for free to beta testers, which that barely happens. Either way there should be a "beta" branch on this forum reserved exclusively for partnership with game developers that offers beta keys to people.

 

However i personally think its the wrong point of view to think that devs gives these beta keys as "gifts" in exchange for free quality testing on the game. The main point of an open/closed beta in a game is to invite people to test their games and received feedback from them to further improve it. Same thing with marketing, the devs should get as much exposure for their games to result in more sales after the beta ends, assuming the game will end up good. I don't consider them as negative aspects, and i consider them a necessary step for the devs to do when they release a closed/open beta phase of a game. 

They are classified as "giveaways" on this site, but the "giveaway" aspect is the fact that alienwarearena partnered with the developers of those games, where the devs offered closed beta invitational keys exclusive to alienwarearena members. They aren't exchanging a beta game as a "gift" for better exposure or quality testing. They are inviting people to test their game.

 

My main problem i was addressing in my first post however, is the way you consider yourself a "guinea pig" or some sort of lab rat just because you don't keep the beta key for the game after the game's full launch. 

What's the point of keeping it? there's no benefit in having a beta version of a game that already has a fully launched version of it, and it just clogs up your library with a useless unfinished game.


Zetikla

I do agree wholeheartedly

 

Now I know what some will say: its free and whatsnot, however personally I would rather have less giveaway but that actually are for full games than more frequent giveaways that are for beta testing where you get to keep nothing once its over.


s7orm3r

Zetikla said:

I do agree wholeheartedly

 

Now I know what some will say: its free and whatsnot, however personally I would rather have less giveaway but that actually are for full games than more frequent giveaways that are for beta testing where you get to keep nothing once its over.

Afterwards you'll end up complaining about the level which was set for a particular giveaway. Tbh it's a never ending discussion. Many factors, e.g.: a lot of spam, poor contribution towards the community.


Zetikla

s7orm3r said:
Zetikla said:

I do agree wholeheartedly

 

Now I know what some will say: its free and whatsnot, however personally I would rather have less giveaway but that actually are for full games than more frequent giveaways that are for beta testing where you get to keep nothing once its over.

Afterwards you'll end up complaining about the level which was set for a particular giveaway. Tbh it's a never ending discussion. Many factors, e.g.: a lot of spam, poor contribution towards the community.

giphy.gif

 

 

Lets just say that I dont like the whole level system the way is it implemented, because as much as people claim its to incentivise user interaction and having people contribute to the community..when the majority of people only see it as as a system to cheese through in order to get to better giveaways.

 

 

I myself would love to participate more in the forums but when under most  of the forum threads, especially in the news section, 90 percent of the comments you see are nothing more than:

"nice news/great news!"

"+"

"random words thrown together"

 

"phrases that have nothing to do with everything"

 

 

Then it becomes kinda hard to gather to will to use the forums, knowing that more often than not my comment will be buried under the masses of spambots/people hard itended to cheat and exploit their way through.  I feel its very naive to think higher level giveaways would motivate people not to keep doing just that and actually participate in an intelligent way.

 

Lets be honest: when you are dangling a carrot in front of a giant masses of people who only care about the giveaways and nothing more, I can guarantee they will resort to every trick known in the book to get to there. The more barrier they setup the harder they will come back as long as there is the incentive.

 

Then again I understand if you may think that my feedback isnt as relevant on the topic as a higher level one would have but thats just how I personally feel about it and not because "reeee how dare you not give me high level freebies!" but because right now the publicly accessible part of the forum feels like a bloody mess. I know this has been discussed to death and oblivion but it still needs to be brought up unless there is a solution, because its STILL  a problem, that wont magically go away, it just wont

 

Remember: incentives currently in place for people to basically exploit the ARP system as much as humanly possible


Sulimen

Zetikla said:

 

I think a little offtopic won't hurt anyone here. The majority of people aren't even inspired to say anything worth going offtopic anyway, so its not like it happens often, or ever at all.

You are right about this, it has probably been discussed for years regarding people taking advantage of the system. You see, i recently got to "Master 2" by contributing normally from doing quests or making constructive posts. Whatever level i advance though, it doesn't really have any relevance to me anymore, given that someone who spammed their entire time they've been on this forum without ever talking to anyone normally, reached my rank 3 times faster.

So yeah, "community interaction" is not that relevant at all in a climate that has a point system where it rewards you with free games.

There is no solution to this really. The most anyone can do at this point is a major overhaul, possibly resetting everyone's ARP points to 0, and enforce a proper set of rules where no actual spam is ever allowed anywhere, or at the very least no spam is ever rewarded with points, where actual people that properly contributes get rewarded, and no one else.

Even then, when you have a daily quest that says "Change your border" and people still make a "Solution" thread for it, its safe to say either not many people have situational awareness to figure out something for themselves, or the majority of people in here do not have english as their native language, and can't properly communicate in an forum where english is the main language people use.

Then again that's no excuse to simplify the forum and allow spam just because people can't communicate in english. They have the option to talk about things in the Europe section below, but that section is barely active, showing that the majority of people are willing to just spam rather than communicate in their language. 

 

Which in the end, this type of system drives away people like yourself that actually wants to contribute, and mostly leaves all the spammers and people posting things for the sake of points, rather than the sake of actually talking to people. Wish i could tell you that honest discourse gets you lots of ARP like i've been telling people for some time, but you already figured it out yourself on what really works here. Not to mention that you will also reach a point where some of the veteran spammers start to systematically downvote your posts for complaining about the system they thrive on.


Zetikla

Sulimen said:
Zetikla said:

 

I think a little offtopic won't hurt anyone here. The majority of people aren't even inspired to say anything worth going offtopic anyway, so its not like it happens often, or ever at all.

You are right about this, it has probably been discussed for years regarding people taking advantage of the system. You see, i recently got to "Master 2" by contributing normally from doing quests or making constructive posts. Whatever level i advance though, it doesn't really have any relevance to me anymore, given that someone who spammed their entire time they've been on this forum without ever talking to anyone normally, reached my rank 3 times faster.

So yeah, "community interaction" is not that relevant at all in a climate that has a point system where it rewards you with free games.

There is no solution to this really. The most anyone can do at this point is a major overhaul, possibly resetting everyone's ARP points to 0, and enforce a proper set of rules where no actual spam is ever allowed anywhere, or at the very least no spam is ever rewarded with points, where actual people that properly contributes get rewarded, and no one else.

Even then, when you have a daily quest that says "Change your border" and people still make a "Solution" thread for it, its safe to say either not many people have situational awareness to figure out something for themselves, or the majority of people in here do not have english as their native language, and can't properly communicate in an forum where english is the main language people use.

Then again that's no excuse to simplify the forum and allow spam just because people can't communicate in english. They have the option to talk about things in the Europe section below, but that section is barely active, showing that the majority of people are willing to just spam rather than communicate in their language. 

 

Which in the end, this type of system drives away people like yourself that actually wants to contribute, and mostly leaves all the spammers and people posting things for the sake of points, rather than the sake of actually talking to people. Wish i could tell you that honest discourse gets you lots of ARP like i've been telling people for some time, but you already figured it out yourself on what really works here. Not to mention that you will also reach a point where some of the veteran spammers start to systematically downvote your posts for complaining about the system they thrive on.

 

 

It just makes me sad, not even angry to be honest that it feels like the whole forum part is basically a leftover project that doesnt get the love or care it could use.

Personally I could only see 2 radical solutions to this, one which would be basically removing givaways altogether (that would end up hurting everyone, even legit users but would kill off incentive to spam and other things) or just remove the whole point system altogether and let everybody free for all giveaway (which would end up with inequal chances and to the same good old hug of death situation when the whole site paralyses altogether)