Did Intel leave a huge security hole in your brand new PC?

Did Intel leave a huge security hole in your brand new PC?

  • 49

HaniComeback


 

Quote:
There’s a huge and extremely worrying range of flaws in newer Intel processors which could allow hackers to take full control over the relevant machines – with millions of PCs potentially affected.

After a severe exploit was uncovered by Mark Ermolov and Maxim Goryachy, Moscow-based security experts who work for Positive Technologies Research, Intel has admitted that some 10 vulnerabilities exist in the Intel Management Engine, Trusted Execution Engine and Server Platform Services
........they affect all of Intel’s Core series of processors from Skylake (6th-generation) onwards, including the firm’s latest 8th-gen CPUs.
.



Source

Old thread on ocn about similar issue in the Intel Pentium back in 2006

Replies 8

paprika911

And unfortunately I'm affected with that. Currently waiting for MSI to release an UEFI update for my Z170A Gaming M5 motherboard. Sad part is that you cannot turn off the Intel Management Engine. I heard that the government can get CPUs with Intel ME disabled. They get the details on how to do it safely. Also some vendors already released UEFI patches. People just need to install them, but for some it's a risk. Power outages can happen and potentially can damage systems which is bad in my opinion.


paprika911

My vendor fixed the issue and I applied the new ME firmware without an UEFI update.

If you have a vulnerable MSI board that's listed here and cannot wait grab the patch from there from post #57: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=295249.50


KHdasdasd

Having a hardware backdoor is worth it if you get to have two more FPS in the newest games, right?

https://jet.com/

paprika911

KHdasdasd said:

Having a hardware backdoor is worth it if you get to have two more FPS in the newest games, right?

It's not about the FPS, it's because you have no choice anymore. Intel has been doing this since Sandy Bridge. They have Intel Management Engine in their chips since 2008. And on AMD is not good either because with Ryzen they now have an ME like ARM chip in their CPUs called PSP (Platform Security Processor). There are ways to disable or remove ME from your machine, but if you do that you void your warranty and if done wrong you brick your machine. Any inexperienced user should NOT perform that step and try to have an up to date UEFI. Google is removing ME from their chips because pretty much it has access to memory without the operating system knowing about it.


KHdasdasd

paprika911 said:

you have no choice anymore

You're information is grossly incorrect.

 

 

https://jet.com/

paprika911

KHdasdasd said:
paprika911 said:

you have no choice anymore

You're information is grossly incorrect.

*Your. Well if you are planning to game and if you want to play the latest titles you don't have. 100%. System builders don't make machines with old hardware that doesn't have ME or PSP anymore, so you have to go used marked. FX series doesn't have PSP, but you don't get the extra framerate either and possibly get even lower if you look at benchmarks. ARM is another solution to the ME/PSP issue, but of course no serious gaming there. While on the NVIDIA Shield you can play "some" games, that's still just a handful of them.

The consumer is the one who loses in the end. And you can vote with your wallet and not buy these products. That's your only choice. No hardware means no gaming. Old hardware means indie games that run on outdated machines. Pick your poison. :)


KHdasdasd

paprika911 said:

System builders don't make machines with old hardware that doesn't have ME or PSP anymore, so you have to go used marked. FX series doesn't have PSP, but you don't get the extra framerate either and possibly get even lower if you look at benchmarks. ARM is another solution to the ME/PSP issue, but of course no serious gaming there. While on the NVIDIA Shield you can play "some" games, that's still just a handful of them.

Your still forgetting some hardware options.

https://jet.com/

paprika911

KHdasdasd said:
paprika911 said:

System builders don't make machines with old hardware that doesn't have ME or PSP anymore, so you have to go used marked. FX series doesn't have PSP, but you don't get the extra framerate either and possibly get even lower if you look at benchmarks. ARM is another solution to the ME/PSP issue, but of course no serious gaming there. While on the NVIDIA Shield you can play "some" games, that's still just a handful of them.

Your still forgetting some hardware options.

Please let me know what those options are if you know better than me. You are making fun of yourself. And others said in other topics that you are a troll. And this where there discussion ends with you.