GTX 1080 ti compatible with Alienware Graphic Amplifier ?

GTX 1080 ti compatible with Alienware Graphic Amplifier ?

BGBex

Hello there! 

I would like to know if GTX 1080 ti is compatible with Alienware Graphic Amplifier (AGA)

I Know its brand new but i dont see it for now in the compatibility list on Dell support :(

Thanks,

Regards,

BGBex

Replies 29

Roadhurts

I saw a post on another forum from a guy that was quoting a big increase in fps using his new 1080ti in his AGA so it seems to be compatible. I picked up my card today (msi founders edition) but waiting for dell to ship my aga 

EdwinDeverill

Roadhurts said:

I saw a post on another forum from a guy that was quoting a big increase in fps using his new 1080ti in his AGA so it seems to be compatible. I picked up my card today (msi founders edition) but waiting for dell to ship my aga 

A big increase in fps compared to what? I run the 1080 GTX through the AGA. If I don't get a worth while increase in FPS at 4K gaming then I wont bother with the 1080 ti. I have been informed that there is a high chance of bottlenecking due to the connection from the amp to the laptop/computer which would nullify the point of getting such a high end card. I am waiting for a video from HulkyBoy87 (on youtube) to run some tests. He has tried it on For Honor all ready with limited success but theorises this is due to the game itself rather than the amp/card.

BGBex

EdwinDeverill said:

Roadhurts said:

A big increase in fps compared to what? I run the 1080 GTX through the AGA. If I don't get a worth while increase in FPS at 4K gaming then I wont bother with the 1080 ti. I have been informed that there is a high chance of bottlenecking due to the connection from the amp to the laptop/computer which would nullify the point of getting such a high end card. I am waiting for a video from HulkyBoy87 (on youtube) to run some tests. He has tried it on For Honor all ready with limited success but theorises this is due to the game itself rather than the amp/card.

I saw his first video too, so far, he was targeting the mobile CPU as the bottleneck, we should see an increase VS GTX 1080 but how much... that is what im looking for. Remember that GTX1080 got a VBIOS upgrade: https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1492987/boards/technical-support-1/ForumPost/update-your-gtx-1080-vbios-on-alienware-17, we should expect that to happen for GTX1080 ti and keep that in mind on the overall result in the AGA 

EdwinDeverill

BGBex said:
EdwinDeverill said:

Roadhurts said:

I saw his first video too, so far, he was targeting the mobile CPU as the bottleneck, we should see an increase VS GTX 1080 but how much... that is what im looking for. Remember that GTX1080 got a VBIOS upgrade: https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1492987/boards/technical-support-1/ForumPost/update-your-gtx-1080-vbios-on-alienware-17, we should expect that to happen for GTX1080 ti and keep that in mind on the overall result in the AGA 

Is this only relevant for the 1080GTX on board a Alienware 17? Or is it relevant to the 1080 GTX in the Graphics amp (what I run). I am not an expert at all so any little helps.

I have the AW 17 R3 980M, 6820HK and run the 1080GTX through the AGA. Overall I would love to see an increase in performance, especially with the big games coming out this year! HulkyBoy87 managed to get the card working in the AGA so I suspect they are compatible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OuHtJ0P7IM

Roadhurts

Yeah he said "my old heaven 4k ultra benchmark with evga 1080 FTW was 1034 - New Heaven 4K Ultra Benhmark with Nvidia GTX 1080 ti is 1567". He went on to say that he's not sure of the impact of bottlenecking but he's happy with the result regardless. He said that he chucked he new ti in his AGA and his 1080 was evga so I'm pretty sure both cards were run thru AGA. Credit to "cmworden" on forum.notebookreview.com 

BGBex

Roadhurts said:

Yeah he said "my old heaven 4k ultra benchmark with evga 1080 FTW was 1034 - New Heaven 4K Ultra Benhmark with Nvidia GTX 1080 ti is 1567". He went on to say that he's not sure of the impact of bottlenecking but he's happy with the result regardless. He said that he chucked he new ti in his AGA and his 1080 was evga so I'm pretty sure both cards were run thru AGA. Credit to "cmworden" on forum.notebookreview.com 

Thanks guys !

killswitchpro

I know this is old and everyone might figure it out by now but I have the gtx 1080 it does work however you will have to change out the power supply to a 750w or high and the stock fan. Using the stock power supply I notice my laptop start running super slow and some programs will not run.  CSM 750W  and Noctua NF-A9 FLX 92mm

Tomc54

killswitchpro said:

I know this is old and everyone might figure it out by now but I have the gtx 1080 it does work however you will have to change out the power supply to a 750w or high and the stock fan. Using the stock power supply I notice my laptop start running super slow and some programs will not run.  CSM 750W  and Noctua NF-A9 FLX 92mm

Thanks for the heads up mate.  I have been having an issue with my AGA w/gtx1080ti card using Windows Mixed Reality and Dell WMR headset.  It all works fine for ~5-8 minutes and then the headset displays give a white flash which increases in freq and after a few more minutes the headset display goes black.  The laptop display is not effected.

Fortunately, when I disconnect the AGA it all works fine with my 17 R4's internal gtx1060.  Thanks to Dell support I have tried multiple driver reinstalls but this has not helped.  I suspect that this issue is due to the stock AGA psu not being able to supply clean enough power under load.  I have ordered the psu and fan you suggested and look forward to seeing if this fixes this problem.  Thanks.

LinkRS

Tomc54 said:

killswitchpro said:

Thanks for the heads up mate.  I have been having an issue with my AGA w/gtx1080ti card using Windows Mixed Reality and Dell WMR headset.  It all works fine for ~5-8 minutes and then the headset displays give a white flash which increases in freq and after a few more minutes the headset display goes black.  The laptop display is not effected.

Fortunately, when I disconnect the AGA it all works fine with my 17 R4's internal gtx1060.  Thanks to Dell support I have tried multiple driver reinstalls but this has not helped.  I suspect that this issue is due to the stock AGA psu not being able to supply clean enough power under load.  I have ordered the psu and fan you suggested and look forward to seeing if this fixes this problem.  Thanks.

Howdy Folks (and Zombies from the necro-thread :-) ),

According to the officially supported graphics card list: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300946/alienware-graphics-amplifier-supported-graphics-card-list?lang=en  The 1080Ti <i>should</i> work, without having to swap out components.  You need to remember that the power supply ratings for Graphics Cards are listed as what is required for a full machine, and the Graphics Amp can get by with much less, as it is only powering a USB hub, and the GPU.  I suspect the issues might be with cards that are running outside of nVidia specs, as the site above indicates such cards may not work.   Good luck!

Rich S.

Tomc54

Ya, in theory the AGA psu should have lots of headroom, esp since my gtx1080ti is a stock, recommended FE version, unclocked.  However, I think that the problem is that the very cheap and nasty AGA psu does not supply sufficient clean voltage under the load of a 1080ti driving Windows mixed reality with my Dell MR headset.  I should have a new power supply to try out in a few days so I guess I will find out soon!  Thanks for your reply.