Replies 1266

paolung

thewickedjon said:

I would  buy the 1366 by 768 res screen because for me FPS is the most important element of gaming and with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdyiRn1r2r8  alienware shows us that its  tiny core i5 & 860m simply do not deliver.

That's why I got the i7-5500u instead. While it's not the most powerful CPU out there, I think it'll make an appreciable difference in framerate.

The 720p screen is a 200 nit TN. I got the 1080p screen instead, becuase I'd rather have the 1080p IPS with 350 nits than a 200 nit TN display.

CarbonBased820

paolung said:
thewickedjon said:

That's why I got the i7-5500u instead. WHile it's not the most powerful proc out there, I think it'll make an appreciable difference in framerate.

I'm actually irritated that the i7 wasnt available when I ordered it. Now I'll just wait until a 15 comes out to get my amp paired with a faster processor. I also got tht 1080p IPS screen, because outside of my BENQ 144hz monitor, I'm so done with TN panels. Also bumped up to 16GB of ram.

AW15r3

SNTDTH

Does anybody else's GA front fan spin fairly loudly?  It seems to just be at 100% and drowns out everything.  Graphics card fan, and AG power supply fan both seem normal and quiet, but the front fan sounds like it would at 100% even when laptop/AG are idle.  If anybody else is experiencing this, please let me know and if you have a fix.  I noticed the fan can be unplugged from the daughter card, has anybody done this and noticed temperatures on card staying cool?

xer0h0ur

SNTDTH said:

Does anybody else's AG front fan spin fairly loudly?  It seems to just be at 100% and drowns out everything.  Graphics card fan, and AG power supply fan both seem normal and quiet, but the front fan sounds like it would at 100% even when laptop/AG are idle.  If anybody else is experiencing this, please let me know and if you have a fix.  I noticed the fan can be unplugged from the daughter card, has anybody done this and noticed temperatures on card staying cool?

Function over form. Screw the looks, if that dumb fan is working at 100% unplug it and keep the cover open on the Amp so airflow isn't restricted. I believe someone had mentioned before that the cover doesn't need to be closed.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, ugh, your opinion man.

SNTDTH

xer0h0ur said:
SNTDTH said:

Hmmm. Fair, but functionally it is already fine, just loud.  And not to be vain or anything, but sorta the point of buying something like this from Alienware/Dell is the aesthetics.  I'm not sure it's unreasonable to ask for a COTS product to be both.  I'll try unplugging the fan and keeping the case closed and post temps.  Was just hoping that there was a driver update, or something in the command center for controlling the fan speed.

Additionally, is it just me, or is there a lack of documentation/support for the GA so far?  I'm having a hard time finding anything really, even on Dell/Alienware's sites.  Usually Dell is pretty good about this.

Game7a1

SNTDTH said:
xer0h0ur said:
SNTDTH said:

The manual for the GA is found when looking under the Alienware 13's page in the Dell support site.

*Something Something Soon™

xer0h0ur

SNTDTH said:
xer0h0ur said:
SNTDTH said:

You're certainly not out of line in expecting the product to work as expected. It is a bit nuts though to put up with the noise of that fan for the sake of pleasing aesthetics.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, ugh, your opinion man.

CarbonBased820

xer0h0ur said:
SNTDTH said:

I unplugged my fan after about 2hours of it boring through my eardrums. My card is whisper quiet, and all the temps and scores I posted in the other thread are with the Amps fan disconnected. The sides of the Amp are louvered, but not filtered, even if youre not getting air via the obnoxious fan, you should still be getting decent airflow to the card.

/mytwocents

AW15r3

xer0h0ur

Do you know if you can still control your video card's fan curve using Afterburner for instance? That would be a good workaround for you in case the temps get a bit out of hand on you with that fan disabled.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, ugh, your opinion man.

atreis

I unplugged the front fan in my amp - had no effect on temps.  (I have the PNY 980 GTX, which exhausts out the back of the card, so pulls air through the case on its own.)